origin_2644146967

My TV Pilot “Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street” Goes into Production at Amazon Studios!

My TV pilot has been given the green light by Amazon Studios. Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street follows the whimsical adventures of eleven-year-old Gortimer and his two best friends as they navigate the magical, strange and often surreal world of children who are becoming adults.

I’ve had the basic idea for Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street simmering on the back burner for quite some time, but until Amazon Stuidos opened their doors to TV submissions there was literally nowhere to go with it. No one was making this kind of fun, adventurous, live-action kid show — not since the days of The Adventures of Pete and Pete or Eerie, Indiana.

It’s an absolute truth that without Amazon Studios, Gortimer would never have been written let alone produced. I’m thrilled to be going the next step with them and to be actively involved in production. Everyone at Amazon has been incredibly supportive and enthusiastic. The show is in great hands.

Gortimer has connected with people on a deep level like nothing I’ve written before. It seems to have taken on a life of it’s own, and it continues to create fans. Many of you have Tweeted, emailed and messaged me about it. You’ve all been incredibly supportive and I’m overjoyed and grateful. I can’t wait to share the pilot with you.

This blog has been going since 2004 in various incarnations as a record of my writing journey. The pilot is a huge milestone, but there’s plenty more road ahead. A pilot is not a series…yet. Stick around, the journey has really just begun.

Visit Amazon Studio’s Hollywonk blog for more about today’s announcement. Congratulations to all the pilot pickups.

Reminder: I’ll be teaching an online screenwriting course via The Loft Literary Center in the fall. Registration is now open. Head on over to the Loft for the course description. A full scholarship is available.

For the latest news on Gortimer Gibbon and other projects, follow me on Twitter or subscribe to email alerts below. It’ll be fun, I promise.

“Arctic Sludgy” Featured Image photo credit: Jeffry B via photopin cc

10 Comments

1. David – congratulations. That’s all I can say. I’ve rooted for Gortimer ever since you put it up on Amazon, and it’s stunning to see how far you’ve come. Enjoy it!

1. Your support means a lot to me. It was a good day!

2. Congratulations David, good for you. Can’t wait to see it.

1. I can’t wait, either CJ! Thanks!

3. Congrats! Long time reader but first time commentator. hopefully the start of more great news.

1. Thanks for delurking, Don! I’m always so happy to hear from longtime readers. I appreciate the support!

4. *The Adventures of Pete and Pete* was definitely the first thing that came to mind when watching *Gortimer*. It’s a good one to take inspiration from; if I had to choose one TV show that influenced me more than any other as a kid, it would be *Pete*.

I will state my theory on why I think I have such fond memories of it, and all the shrill and frantic stuff, which only become more prevalent in the years since, faded. *Pete*, and shows of its ilk, didn’t take us for stupid. Kids are much more sensitive to that than many adults (including some show creators) think. Like *Pete*, *Gortimer Gibbon* took the world that urban kids live in, somewhere between everyday routine, absurd rituals, friendship, adventures and discovery only surpassed by the imagination that accompanies them, and not least of all the dynamically evolving mythology. And instead of feeling like merely exploiting them, they revelled in and built on them. You can feel that the creators haven’t forgotten their own childhood. That, I think, is extremely vital for a good kids show, and is missing from too many of them. It’s also why, while the shrill other shows have faded from memory, those shows I love to watch today at least as much as I loved them as a kid; because the change in perspective from kid to adult didn’t mean seeing through the manipulation (and wondering how you could ever watch something so annoying), but discovering the brilliance of the storytelling, discovering layers you might have missed as a kid. Although, as I said, even if you might not have consciously seen or understood them as a kid, you definitely felt that *something* was there, and this wasn’t a show that took you for stupid because you were “just a kid”.

I really wanted to get that off my chest. I might no longer be part of the target audience of this show (although, is that really true?) but I am absolutely sure that it will make so many kids feel the way about it that I feel about *Pete*. I had a blast watching it with my (childless) 28 years. I’m sure that the current landscape of kids TV is not due to today’s childrens’ inability to appreciate traditional storytelling. The future isn’t all screaming thrill-a-second cartoons that are really just thinly disguised ads for some toy.

Mr. Anaxagoras, I really hope that you get to turn this into a full series – the initial reactions on Amazon seem very promising, and deservedly so. And I’m grateful to Amazon for providing the platform. Who would’ve thought that an online retailer would turn out to be the last “network” that knows how to do proper kids’ programming?

5. Rebbeca Cascinelli July 10, 2014 at 7:10 am

When will more episodes be available?

6. My son ( 11 years old) and I just finished watching the entire season one…. We need more!

1. Good news, Allan and Angie — more episodes are on their way! Second half of Season 1 coming soon.